Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Humility

humble 
  1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.
  2. Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.
  3. Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage.

    There are a lot of definitions for this word. But which is the definition that matters? God's or man's? Obviously... but what comes easy to believe in our day-to-day lives?
    I believe that God wants me to humble myself yet be confident. Is that even possible? 
    If I humble me or 'my flesh' and I have faith and confidence in God, it is possible. The Holy Spirit resides in me, giving me a humble confidence. If I am confident with my-SELF... It's something entirely different. It's SELF-seeking and SELFish. 
    Someone told me today that 'as Christians it's ok, it's good, to be self-seeking'... What!? I wanted to ask if they read their bible but it really was not an appropriate setting for a debate. Christian means 'little Christ' or 'Christ-like'. Jesus Christ literally died for us to live eternally. If a Christian saying 'it's good to be SELF-seeking' is not the greatest oxymoron then I don't know what is. 
    If you know 'the word' well then you know that God desires for us to DIE to our-SELFs.  What part of 'SELF-seeking' strikes you as a death sentence? If I am seeking with myself in mind then I defiantly am not looking for death- unless I'm suicidal. I'm seeking things that make ME feel good. Because if I am SELF-seeking its really about me and my will and not Gods.
    So the conclusion is simple. To be humble doesn't mean God wants you to let yourself get walked all over because you're worthless- What He desires is for us to humble our flesh and be confident in Spirit. If we allow His Spirit to guide us then we can't go wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts and a good read.